2. Licorice root tea
Powerful & sweet
Licorice root tea, also known as the plant called glycyrrhiza glabra or sweet root for its sweetener like properties, licorice root is used in candies and beverages but also holds powerful medicinal benefits. Abundant in vitamins and minerals some of these include, vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid) and E (tocopherol) as well as minerals such as, phosphorous, calcium, choline, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium, silicon and zinc. I enjoy drinking licorice tea because it is sweet like a dessert without actually eating anything. I used to drink licorice tea at night as it has no caffeine. Later, I found out that it's better consumed during the morning/day in order to raise healthy cortisol levels boosting energy.
Some other great benefits of licorice root tea are:
- Skin care - antimicrobial activity against skin infecting bacteria and soothing inflammatory properties that prevent and treat acute and chronic inflammation within the body. These qualities provide the perfect conditions to help clear up skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis.
- Smooth muscle relaxation - licorice root provides a specific flavonoid that has been proven to relax smooth muscles within the body. This can bring relief to symptoms such as seizures, spasms and heart palpitations.
- Supports the immune system - by reducing inflammation by relaxing smooth muscles within the throat this proves beneficial to illnesses such as bronchitis and sore throats. Breaking up stubborn phlegm and mucus also supports and boost the immune system allowing for easier elimination of underlying harmful bacteria or pathogens.
- Hair and scalp - having anti-inflammatory properties, by inhibiting cells that cause inflammation of the skin, proves beneficial in preventing a dry scalp which leads to annoying dandruff. This slight improvement in the health of the scalp allows the hair follicles to grow easier and stronger. An added bonus is all the minerals and antioxidant benefits the tea provides supplying the proper nutrients the hair needs to become thick and lush improving its overall appearance.
- Improves PMS & levels hormones - traditionally used to treat menstrual cramps, by soothing & relaxing smooth muscles as mentioned above, mood swings and other hormonal fluctuations. Licorice root has been found to regulate the stress hormone, cortisol. Studies found that licorice root was able to inhibit a main enzyme needed in the conversion of non-active to active cortisol.
Note, licorice root has been found to produce opposite effects when consumed in excess. For example, cortisol is a stress hormone that taxes our adrenals and throws our hormones out of wack but only when we have too much of it. On the contrary, cortisol can be beneficial. It helps to wake you up naturally, maintain blood pressure, immune function and helps with anti-inflammatory processes within the body.